Interesting English Literature Facts
Here is a list of all the interesting literature facts which you didn’t know. These facts will amaze you, and you will find that there is a lot of stuff related to literature, novels, etc which is indeed interesting!
Interesting Facts about English Literature:
- Sherlock Holmes never said “Elementary, my dear Watson”!
- A Language dies every 14 days!
- The first novel ever written on a typewriter, was Tom Sawyer!
- “I am.” is the shortest complete sentence in the English language!
- There are only four words in the English language which end in “dous”: tremendous, horrendous, stupendous, and hazardous!
- Ghosts appear only in 4 Shakespearean plays: Julius Caesar, Richard III, Hamlet and Macbeth!
- Stewardesses’ is the longest word that is typed with only the left hand!
- No word in the English language rhymes with month, orange, silver, and purple!
- The only 15 letter word that can be spelt without repeating a letter is uncopyrightable!
- ‘SWIMS’ upside down still looks like ‘SWIMS’!
- The sentence “The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.” uses every letter in the alphabet!
- The town of Hamelin, Germany famous for the legend of the rat-catching Pied Piper has a Modern day Rat Problem due to the food left by tourists!
- The name for Oz in the “Wizard of Oz” was thought up when the creator, Frank Baum, looked at his filing cabinet and saw A-N, and O-Z, hence “Oz.”!
- ‘Aloha’ is a Hawaiian word that means both hello and goodbye!
- The longest English word without a vowel is – rhythm!
- The Times (UK’s newspaper) of 22 August 1978 contained the most number of misprints – about 97. In one story about the Pope, he was called “the Pop” throughout the article!
- “The Mouse Trap,” by Agatha Christie is the longest running play in history!
- All of the roles in Shakespeare’s plays were originally acted by men and boys. In England at that time, it wasn’t proper for females to appear on stage!
- ‘Dreamt’ is the only English word that ends in the letters ‘mt’!
- The original story from Tales of 1001 Arabian Nights begins, ‘Aladdin was a little Chinese boy.’!
- John Milton used 8,000 different words in his poem, “Paradise Lost.”!
- In the original story, Sleeping beauty was raped by the prince and gave birth to 2 children. She woke up when a kid sucked on her finger!
- Silent and Listen are spelt with the same letters!