20 Interesting Facts about Lord of the Rings (Movie)
Here is a list of 10 interesting facts about Lord of the Rings Trilogy which you didn’t know. These facts will amaze you, and you will find that there are a lot of fun and interesting facts about one of the best movie series of all time that you didn’t know until now!
Interesting Lord of the Rings Facts List :
- Christopher Lee read The Lord of the Rings every single year since the year it was published and was the only member of the cast and crew ever to have met J.R.R. Tolkien!
- Apart from the role of Gollum, Andy Serkis also voiced the black riders !
- Originally, Orlando Bloom(Legolas) auditioned for the role of Faramir,John Rhys-Davies(Gimli) for the role of Denethor, and Christopher Lee for the role of Gandalf!
- Sean Connery was originally offered the role of Gandalf, but he declined as he had never read the books and ‘didn’t understand the script’!
- Nicolas Cage was first offered the role of Aragorn, but he turned it down because of ‘family obligations’!
- All 3 movies of the Lord of the Rings trilogy: The Fellowship of the Ring(2001), The Two Towers (2002), and The Return of the King(2003) were filmed simultaneously!
- The Helm’s Deep battle in The Two Towers took four months to shoot, all of it at night!
- Sean Bean is afraid of flying, and while filming in the mountains of New Zealand refused to take helicopter rides to the set. Instead, he hiked up to the set in full Boromir costume every day!
- In the 1960s, the Beatles wanted to make a movie adaptation of Lord of the Rings, with Stanley Kubrick directing, but Tolkien killed the project!
- Shelob’s design is based on a New Zealand spider called a “tunnelweb”!
- After the shooting was complete,Veteran sword master Bob Anderson called Viggo Mortensen(Aragorn) “the best swordsman I’ve ever trained”!
- Viggo Mortensen did all of his own stunts and used a real steel sword while filming, rather than one made from aluminium and rubber like the rest of the cast!
- While filming the big standoff scene between Gandalf and the Balrog in Fellowship of The Ring, Ian McKellen was actually acting to a ping pong ball!
- Gimli’s armour weighted around 30KG !
- The Return of the King holds the record for highest movie body count, tallying in at 836!
- Tolkien considered Sam as the “chief hero” of the story!
- One frame of Gollum took around eight minutes to render, while one frame of Treebeard sometimes took up to 48 hours to render!
- Samwise Gamgee’s daughter in The Return of the King is played by his real-life daughter, Alexandra!
- The mountains on Titan, Saturn’s largest moon, are named in honour of Tolkien’s work!
- The sound of the fell beasts that the ringwraiths fly on is actually the noise of a donkey!