Interesting History Facts
Here is a list of all the interesting facts about history and historical events which you didn’t know. These facts will amaze you, and you will find that there are a lot of fun and interesting facts about history (which most of us consider boring anyway) which you didn’t know until now!
Interesting History Facts List :
- The dinosaurs became extinct before the Rockies or the Alps were formed!
- 60-65 million years ago dolphins and humans shared a common ancestor!
- The grid layout used in many cities around the world is not a new invention – it first appeared in the city of Mohenjo-Daro, in India, 4,500 years ago. The houses to the side of the streets had bare walls facing the street to keep out the sun and dust from carts!
- In the First Dynasty of ancient Egypt, hoards of staff and family members were walled up with the body of the dead king. The humans and animals buried with the king were expected to help him in the afterlife!
- Francis Galton, the inventor of modern fingerprinting methods, had many other notable ideas: the weather map, the phrase “nature vs. nurture,” and the silent dog whistle!
- In ancient Rome, the punishment for killing one’s father was to be drowned in a sack along with a viper, a dog, and a rooster!
- Gorgias of Epirus (3rd century BC), a Greek sophist, was born in his dead mother’s coffin! Pallbearers heard him crying out as they carried his mother’s coffin to the grave!
- Cleopatra had a special lipstick made for her, consisting of crushed ants and deep red carmine beetles!
- In the 14th century, the Black Death killed 75,000,000 people. It was carried by fleas on the black rat!
- When anaesthetic was used for the first time in childbirth in 1847, the mother was so amazed and relieved at how painless the birth was that she named her child Anaesthesia!
- In 1911, pigtails were banned in China because they were seen as a link with its feudal past!
- On August 2, 1922, the day that Alexander Graham Bell was buried the entire US telephone system was shut down for 1 minute in tribute!
- In 1927 Otto Rohwedder invented sliced bread. He made the first machine to slice and wrap bread and won a patent for the process. After only six years after the invention, more sliced bread was sold than unsliced!
- Englishman Roger Bacon invented the magnifying glass in 1250!
- The first synthetic human chromosome was constructed by US scientists in 1997. The thermometer was invented in 1607 by Galileo!
- Alfred Nobel invented dynamite in 1866!
- DNA was first discovered in 1869 by Swiss Friedrich Mieschler!
- Wilhelm Rontgen won the first Nobel Prize in physics for discovering X-rays in 1895!
- Wireless communications took a giant leap forward in 1962 with the launch of Telstar, the first satellite capable of relaying telephone and satellite TV signals!
- Christian Barnard performed the first heart transplant in 1967 – the patient lived for 18 days!
- The very first bomb dropped by the Allies on Berlin during World War II killed the only elephant in the Berlin Zoo!
- In 1956, a psychiatrist had declared Rock’N’Roll a communicable disease!
- The first product to have a bar code was Wrigley’s Gum!
- The term geek originally referred to circus performers that would bite off the heads of live chickens!