Interesting Earth Facts
Here is a list of all the interesting earth facts which you didn’t know. These facts will amaze you, and you will find that there are a lot of fun interesting facts about earth and geography which you didn’t know until now !
- The only continent with no active volcanoes is Australia!
- The equator lies across 14 different countries!
- The Atlantic Ocean is saltier than the Pacific!
- The Earth’s shape could be described as an oblate spheroid!
- Earth is almost five billion years old, although life (resembling life as we know it) has only existed on the planet for the last 150 million to 200 million years!
- Life has only been present on Earth for only 5%-10% of its lifetime!
- The 50 tallest mountains on Earth are all located in Asia !The air at the summit of Mount Everest , 29,029 feet is only a third as thick as the air at the sea level!
- The deepest part of any ocean in the world is the Mariana trench in the Pacific with a depth of 35,797 feet!
- The oceans contain enough salt to cover all the continents to a depth of nearly 500 feet!
- The longest glacier in Antarctica, the Lambert glacier, is 250 miles long and 40 miles wide!
- The largest desert in the world, the Sahara, is 3,500,000 square miles!
- Point Farthest From the Center of the Earth is the peak of the volcano Chimborazo in Ecuador at 20,561 feet (6267 m). It is farthest from the centre of the earth due to its location near the equator and the oblateness of the Earth!
- The largest inland sea is the Caspian Sea which is on the border of Iran and Russia!
- Each year, about 1 million earthquakes occur in the world. About 100,000 of those can be felt and about 100 of them cause damage!
- Hawaii is the most geographically isolated land mass in the world!
- Earth accumulate 10 to 100 tonnes of material each day!
- Chemical Composition of the Earth mainly consists of 34.6% Iron, 29.5% Oxygen, 15.2% Silicon, 12.7% Magnesium, 2.4% Nickel, 1.9% Sulphur, and 0.05% Titanium!
- An earthquake on 16th December 1811, caused parts of the Mississippi river to flow backwards!