20 Interesting Facts about Mexico
Here is a list of 20 interesting facts about Mexico which you probably didn’t know. These facts will amaze you, and you will find that there are a lot of fun and interesting facts about Mexico which you weren’t aware of!
Interesting Mexico Facts List :
- Mexico’s official name is Estados Unidos Mexicanos (United Mexican States)!
- Mexico introduced chillies, corn and chocolate to the world!
- Mexico is the 11th most populous country in the world with a population of 121 million!
- In Mexico, artists can pay their taxes with their artworks!
- Mexico has the second largest population of Catholic citizens, after Brazil!
- Mexico city is sinking slowly at a rate of 6 to 8 inches a year as it is built on a lake, over the ruins of a great Aztec city, Tenochtitlan!
- Great Pyramid of Cholula in Mexico is the largest pyramid in the world, ahead of the Great Pyramid of Giza!
- The world’s smallest dog, the Chihuahua is named after a Mexican state!
- In 1913, Mexico had three different presidents, in a span of one hour!
- Mexico City is home to the world’s largest taxi fleet of 100,000 taxis running every day!
- Mexico has 68 official languages!
- The city of San Francisco was part of Mexico until the Mexican-American War in 1848!
- Mexican children do not receive presents on Christmas Day, instead, they receive gifts on January 6 (Three Kings Day)!
- Mexico is located in the “Ring of Fire” which is one of the earth’s most violent earthquake and volcano zone!
- Every year, millions of Monarch butterflies migrate to Mexico from U.S.A and Canada!
- Sugary drinks kill more people than violent crimes in Mexico!
- The first great civilisation in Mexico was the Olmec (from 1500 B.C.to 400 B.C.)!
- A very rare breed of rabbit, called Volcano Rabbit is found in Mexico near the Mexican volcanoes!
- The National University of Mexico is the oldest university in North America was founded by Charles V Spain in 1551!
- The border between Mexico and the United States is the second largest border in the world!