20 Less Known Facts About Hillary Clinton
Hillary Clinton seems to always have been in the political spotlight. She has been the first lady, the senator of New York and Secretary of State. And in November 2016, she lost the Presidential Elections to Donald Trump. Here are few less known facts about Hillary Clinton:
Interesting Facts about Hillary Clinton:
- Hillary Clinton won a Grammy in 1997 for Best Spoken Word Album for the audio version of her book “It Takes a Village.”
- Hillary stated in 2012 that she no longer drives a car. She says that the last time she drove a car was in 1996.
- Hillary Clinton was once a Republican and campaigned for Barry Goldwater in 1964. But She switched parties in 1968 and went on to work for Democratic nominee George McGovern in 1972 and Jimmy Carter in 1976.
- Bill and Hillary Clinton attend different churches. While Hillary is a Methodist, Bill is a Southern Baptist.
- During her time as First Lady, she was given the codename Evergreen by the Secret Service. She still maintains the same codename during her campaigns for Presidency.
- Hillary was both senator and first lady for 20 days. She was sworn in as a U.S. senator on Jan. 1, 2001, and Bill left the White House on the 20th.
- In 1988 and 1991, the National Law Journal ranked her as one of the top 100 most influential lawyers in the United States.
- Hillary decided not to appear in Vogue in 2007 because she did not want to appear “too feminine”.
- Hillary Clinton was very well travelled during her 4-year term as Secretary of State. She visited 112 countries, flew 1 million miles and spent 25% of her time travelling.
- After marriage, Hillary changed her last name from Rotham to Clinton only to please the Arkansas voters so that Bill Clinton could become a Governor.
- Before she married Bill Clinton, she tried to join the Marines, but she was rejected on the ground she was too old, had poor eyesight and was a woman.
- In 1974, Hillary Clinton served as a member of the impeachment inquiry staff during Nixon’s impeachment proceedings.
- She married Bill Clinton in 1975, and gave birth to their daughter, Chelsea, in 1980.
- From 1986 until 1992, she served on the board for Wal-Mart.
- Hillary loves spicy food. She always carries a small bottle of Tabasco and red pepper flakes in her purse so that she can have spicy food no matter where she goes.
- Hillary Clinton was the first woman elected to the New York senate.
- Hillary Clinton won the TV quiz show College Bowl while attending Wellesley College.
- After graduating from Wellesley College, Hillary worked in a fish canning factory in Alaska. The plant fired her and then shut down after she complained about unhealthy conditions.
- She was president of her high school’s Fabian Fan Club. She has said that there were only three girls in the club, but they took it very seriously. Fabian was a singer and actor.
- In one of Hillary Clinton’s first trials before a jury, she represented a canning company that had been sued by someone who claimed they found the rear end of a rat in a can. Though she won the case, she became the butt of her husband’s jokes for years over what he called her “rat’s ass” case.